[EM] calculating the N matrix in Schulze STV

Alexander Kjäll alexander.kjall at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 00:38:00 PDT 2013

Hi

I'm trying to implement the Schulze STV method and are currently working
through the paper schulze2.pdf.

On page 38 there is an example (section 6.3) where this result was arrived
at:

N[{a,b,c},d] = 169;

and Ñ[{a,b,c}, {a,b,d}] = 169;

And i can't seem to figure out how to arrive at the number 169.

It's not a sum of any of the voting groups (as those are all divisible by
three, and 169 is not), and since all voters cast linear order preferences
of candidates the weight p of the votes should all be 1 (as far as i
understood it).

Could someone here maybe help me by explaining what step I'm not
understanding correctly, I'm guessing it has something to do with
Proportional Completion but I'm not really seeing that.

best regards
Alexander Kjäll