[EM] Re to Ben Grant's first post.

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 10:09:34 PDT 2013

Hi Ben, I've pushed at EM a minor adjustment to IRV that solves the problem
you posed.
The idea is to require voters to vote for only 3 candidates and then count
the number of times
each candidate is ranked to determine 3 finalists and then use a ranked
vote to determine the winner.
In each of the cases below, assuming the top 3 get ranked, C wd be
eliminated first by virtue of how none of the 40% voters ranked C.
In that case, the second group would consistently rank B as their top
candidate in the second stage and B would consistently win the second and
final stage.

So IRV is easy to tweak to solve your dilemma.

This fix also makes the vote summarizable at the precinct level in a faster
manner and it encourages voters to rank multiple candidates since
lower-rankings
will be more likely to make a diff in the first stage to determine the
final three and it's much simpler than Bucklin or other voting rules.

dlw

Message: 1