[EM] FairVote comment on Burlington dumping IRV

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 17:37:06 PDT 2013

I think your analysis of my scenario is generally right on. (I changed the
last candidate with 6 voters from X to RR at the last minute, which changed
the EMAV winner from CL to CR)

But I think you're missing my main point, which is that there are more
strategies available under EMAV than under MAV. In particular, as I set it
up, the L and R factions (factions 1 and 4) have no reason to strategically
exaggerate at all under MAV, but certainly do under EMAV. That was my main
point. Would you prefer a simpler scenario to demonstrate this?

Also, you are right that the near balance between all 4 main candidates is
unrealistic, but the scenario works the same if you shift voters between
the L and CL groups and/or between R and CR (I believe that for MAV, these
shifts can be any size and either direction. Clearly you could impact the
EMAV results by doing large enough shifts like this.) So in real life it
could easily be that, say, CL and R dominate in first-choice support.

Jameson