[EM] Quotaless STV-PR suggestion

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 4 00:08:56 PDT 2013

On 4.7.2013, at 6.57, Chris Benham wrote:

> STV meets Later-no-Harm because lower preferences only count after the
> the fate (elected or definitely eliminated) of more preferred candidates has
> been set.
>
> My suggestion doesn't because by not truncating a voter could have their
> ballot count towards the election of a non-favourite in an early round (and
> a candidate that might have won anyway), and so be reduced in weight and
> then not be "heavy" enough to elect the voter's favourite in a later round
> (when it would have been if the voter had truncated).

It seems that your suggestion reduces the weight of a vote when it contributes to electing someone at the first time. Another approach would be to try to reduce the weight of a vote based on the most preferred candidate that is about to be elected. Can you elaborate why you prefer to do it this way (to help me to understand why your suggestion is what it is).

Another question. How about using Condorcet to elect the winner at each round instead of doing it in IRV style ("top-ranked on the highest number of ballots")?

Juho