[EM] Before Voting Methods and Criteria: Outcome Design Goals (long)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 15:05:07 PDT 2013

Kristofer nailed it as usual, I have only one small point to add:

Let’s assume that we have a magical gift – a super power, if you will.
>> We can know exactly what each voter thinks about each candidate.  Now,
>> because this comes from magic, it cannot unfortunately be used as a part
>> of the election process, but it will be useful for our examination of
>> attitudes of the voters.
>>

> Welcome to utilitarianism!
>
> But note that there's a subtle distinction. Either this magical gift gives
> you the *opinions* of the voters, according to some scale, or it gives you
> a number that tells you how much voter X would come to like the choice
> being Y, were Y to be elected. These may be different - if for no other
> reason than that many politicians lie - and I'm going to assume you mean
> the first one.

Also, you can't assume (as Benn appeared to) that people who like a
candidate a lot will necessarily be the same ones who are willing and able
to try to strategize to elect that candidate.

Jameson