[EM] Clean Government Alliance

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Tue Jan 22 17:07:04 PST 2013

In this discussion about term limits, I forgot to mention an important
U.S.-specific deal-breaker.

The United States Supreme Court ruled that (using the words in
Wikipedia) "states cannot impose term limits upon their federal
Representatives or Senators.

The details are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_limits_in_the_United_States#Congress

This means that applying term limits to members of the United States
Congress would require adding an amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Yet, as I understand it, adopting term limits for Congressmen is one of
the goals of Clean Government Alliance.

Even at the federal level, banning single-mark ballots might be easier.

BTW, most of the states in the United States already have term limits
for local and state-level positions.  I am not opposed to those; they
serve a useful purpose while we continue to have unfair elections.  I am
also not opposed to federal term limits.

Rather I'm saying that getting term limits adopted for Congressmen
appears, to me, to be a harder goal than banning single-mark ballots,
and term limits won't lead to as much reform as better ballots and
better counting methods.

Why settle for using Duct Tape to patch up what isn't working, when
solving the underlying problem is far more effective?

Of course, the Supreme Court might also regard a ban on single-mark
ballots as unconstitutional.  But that would be great because that
"publicity" for alternate ballot types would elevate the discussion of
the topic to the point where it would become easy for individual states
to adopt such a ban for elections of local and state-level positions,
and that's where we are most likely to get early reforms.

Richard Fobes