[EM] Clean Government Alliance

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Sun Jan 20 20:33:33 PST 2013

(For context, see message that follows.)

When looking for "overrun" or "wild swings" in politics, keep in mind
that politics involves multiple dimensions.  This concept is conveyed in
the "pencil metaphor" at:

http://www.votefair.org/pencil_metaphor.html

Specifically, left-to-right (or liberal-versus-conservative) shifts are
just one dimension.  (As a further complication, different people have
different opinions about what that one dimension refers to.)

Yet there are other dimensions too.  One is the money-fueled shift away
from voters toward special interests (votes-versus-money).  As the
pencil metaphor suggests, this dimension is "orthogonal" (i.e. sort of
"perpedicular") to the left-versus-right dimension.

Also consider that a "system" (either physical or political) can
resonate at several different frequencies.  And those oscillations (at
different frequencies) can occur simultaneously.  If "plotted" in along
more than one axis, the results can be "Lissajous curves" (which are
nicely shown in the Wikipedia article by that name).  Such patterns are
more difficult to comprehend than simple one-dimensional "waveforms"
(such as an audio signal).

So, indeed, it can be very difficult to clearly identify examples of the
oscillations in current-day and recent politics.

Yet some patterns become clear in an historical context.  As an example,
the U.S. stock market has large cycles with mathematically determined
"periods," such as a big 90-year-or-so cycle and a smaller 20-year-or-so
cycle, both occurring "together" (along with other cycles at other
frequencies).  Such boom-and-bust cycles have what I, and others,
believe is the same cause: people with lots of money learn how to "game"
the system in their favor without realizing that those changes are not
sustainable, and then the "house of cards" collapses, and then the cycle
starts again with a different way to game the system (and maybe with a
new category of people gaming the system).

Kristofer asks what I suggest as a way to "dampen" such
resonant/oscillation effects.  I recommend VoteFair ranking (including
VoteFair representation ranking and VoteFair partial-proportional
ranking) for electing political leaders, and I recommend VoteFair
negotiation ranking for voting within legislatures.

By design, together they would produce laws and enforcement priorities
that would much more closely match what voters really want.

Also they would _relatively_ _smoothly_ track changes in what voters
want.  That contrasts with jerkily responding to voter shifts as happens
now, and which makes oscillations more likely.

As a result, there would be no need for term limits.

Richard Fobes