[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 103, Issue 1

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Wed Jan 2 07:55:16 PST 2013

Here's the way I would explain the CMJ tiebreaker in your example:

"This candidate's median is a C, and to get up to the median vote uses
43.1% of those C votes."

What this means:

This candidate would be beaten by a candidate with a median of A or B or a
candidate with a median of C where the median used up more than 43.1% of
the C votes.  This candidate would beat any candidate with a median of D
and any candidate with a median of C where the median used up less than
43.1% of the C votes.

How it is calculated:

There are 578,536 voters, with half of that being 289,268.  The bottom half
of the votes, then, are the 19,663 F votes, plus the 81,286 E votes, plus
the 121,121 D votes, plus 67,198 of the 155,781 C votes.

 67198/155781 is 0.431.

~ Andy