[EM] Survey of Multiwinner Methods

Greg Nisbet gregory.nisbet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 13:04:52 PST 2013

Hey, I'd like to get a sense of what sorts of multiwinner methods are
currently known that are reasonably good and don't require districts,
parties, or candidates that are capable of making decisions (I'm looking at
you, asset voting).

I had an idea for a variant of STV where the "elimination order" for
candidates is the reverse of how often they are approved (i.e. given a rank
on the ballot instead of no rank). This method may already have been
proposed some time ago, but I think it warrants attention regardless. This
somewhat changes the interpretation of an STV ballot because a truncated
ballot is no longer strictly less powerful than a non-truncated one. Since
the elimination order is fixed from the beginning and doesn't depend on
subsequent decisions, I suspect this modification to STV would at least
reduce non-monotonic behavior (however one might quantify degree of
monotonicity).