[EM] Sociological issues of elections

Vidar Wahlberg canidae at exent.net
Sat Aug 31 05:24:34 PDT 2013

This may be a bit outside what is usually discussed here, but I'll give
it a shot and if someone know of some resources I should check up on
then please let me know.

I've not followed this list for a long time, but my impression is that
the main focus is on the technical or mathematical properties, and less
on the sociological issues.

For instance, when voting for persons then candidates with high
popularity and charisma are likely to win more votes than less
charismatic candidates, despite the less charismatic candidates being
far more suited for the task (more knowledge, experience, talent, etc.).
In the Norwegian system where we got multiple parties, but two blocks
(left and right), we also see that some people vote for their second
preference rather than the first, because the first is in the wrong
block or intend to cooperate with another party which the voter dislike
the most.

If it is within the scope of this list, what are your thoughts on the
subject?
Alternatively:
Assuming the perfect election system where voting any different than
your real preference would only hurt your preference, how would you
design a form of government that is elected by the people, but is
resistant to sociological issues that can't be prevented by the election
method (such as the examples mentioned above)?

--
Regards,
Vidar Wahlberg