[EM] Article on BSMB

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Wed Apr 24 19:46:37 PDT 2013

On 4/22/2013 7:30 AM, Jonathan Denn wrote:
> My conclusion to the IVN piece is likely going to be to immediately
> advocate for "Approval" voting nationwide.

"Nationwide" is both ambiguous and ambitious.  If you express the reform
that way, I'd suggest clarifying what you mean.  Personally I'd suggest
more of a ramping-up approach.

> And after voters get used to
> the change to then have an independent commission study which method is
> best for the ranking of candidates.

A strong "no" on the idea of an independent commission study!

Ontario Canada created a citizen's committee to study voting methods and
they (under the influence of a biased "expert") came up with the
"closed-list" form of PR (proportional representation).  It allows the
people in power to stay in power, which is the opposite of what voters
want.  I and others then worked to defeat that choice when it came up on
the ballot.  In the Declaration Of Election-Method Reform Advocates we
specifically denounce the "closed-list" approach by recommending the
"open-list" approach instead (if PR is used).

Let different cities and states use different methods -- preferably with
guidance from the information in the Declaration.  There is no need to
converge on a single common approach.  In fact, even though I advocate
the Condorcet-Kemeny method, even I would recommend having used Approval
voting in the recall election that Arnold Swartzeneger (sp?) won to
become California's governor because there were 135 candidates competing
for that single seat, and Approval voting is less confusing to the
voters when there are that many candidates.

> So, would anyone like to send me a quote, or be interviewed, or want to
> dissuade me from my conclusion? I'm a sucker for a greater argument. I
> can't guarantee your input will make it into the article, but as you
> know I'm a big fan of DEMRA's work.

You can regard this as either an attempt to influence what you say, or
as a quote, or a series of quotes (your choice):

"The most important part of advocating better ballots and better
counting methods is to educate voters as to why election results so
often yield winners who most of the voters dislike.  We know that money
has an excessive influence on election results, but not enough people
understand that it happens because we use single-mark ballots.
Single-mark ballots are only intended to handle choosing between two
choices.  We need to use ballots and counting methods that handle three
or more choices.  This need is especially important in primary elections
because that is where the biggest campaign contributors take advantage
of vote splitting if a reform-minded candidate dares to run against a
money-backed candidate.  Remember that the biggest campaign contributors
control both the Republican and Democratic parties, and by controlling
the primary elections of both parties they don't have to care whether
the Republican or Democrat wins the general election.  Most voters, and
politicians, are too distracted by the left-versus-right debate to
notice where the real control of power occurs, and why it is so easy for
moneyed interests to control both parties.  The biggest potential for
reform is for third parties to adopt better ballots and better counting
methods in their primary elections.  That change, besides attracting
lots of voters to those third parties, will educate mainstream voters
that there are alternatives.  Approval voting is the logical place to
start because the existing ballot-counting hardware can be used, and it
just involves allowing more than one mark per race.  Yet any use of any
kind of better ballot -- in any kind of decision-making situation --
will quickly educate lots of voters about the unfairness of the
single-mark ballots we now use."

"Education is the key!"

Richard Fobes
Author of "Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S. Elections"