[EM] Associated Student Government at Northwestern University uses Schulze Method

rbj at audioimagination.com rbj at audioimagination.com
Sat Apr 20 13:32:54 PDT 2013

From: "Kevin Venzke" <stepjak at yahoo.fr>

> It's true that *with the ballots as cast* any Condorcet-compliant method would have

> worked identically.

including no specific Condorcet method, since there was a CW.

> What you don't know until you try it, is whether voters would

> actually cast those ballots, given the incentives created by the method.

well, when at first i (mistakenly) thought that there were only 3 candidates (or candidate tickets, in this case), i could not see how there would be any different outcome at all because, even if there
was a cycle, it would be a cycle with 3 in the Smith set.

> That said,
> I don't see an obvious reason why Tideman or MinMax would have gone differently.

well, being that there were 4 candidate tickets, it's *possible* that a cycle with all 4 tickets in the Smith set occurs and then, i guess, the different methods: MinMax, Tideman, Schulze may have resulted in different outcomes.

i have since discovered that the voting
was online and the results went into a Google spreadsheet doc.  i imagine they were able to program it to compute the winner and margin of each candidate pairing, but if a cycle had occurred, i really wonder what they would have done, because with all due respect to Markus (and i mean that,
Markus, everyone says that Schulze method is the best Condorcet method or, at least, gets the best outcome in the hypothetical cases where it would be different from the others), i wonder if they would have some trouble going through the actual steps of the Schulze method.

b-j