[EM] Current SODA not monotonic; fixable. (mono-voter-raise)

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sat Apr 20 10:56:24 PDT 2013

At 01:09 PM 4/19/2013, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>Consider the following scenario in SODA:
>
>1: A(>C>B>D)
>2: B,X
>2: C(>B>A>D)
>1: D(>A>C>B)
>1: null
>
>Presume all ties are predictably broken for the alphabetically-first
>candidate (without this presumption, you'd need larger numbers, but
>you could still make a similar scenario). Under SODA with rational
>delegation assignment, C has a choice. If C does not approve B, they
>are giving A and D a choice between approving A and C so C wins, or
>only A so A wins; since both A and D will choose the latter, this is
>tantamount to electing A. If C does approve B, then B will win
>regardless of what A and D do. C prefers B, so B wins.

Notice that SODA is, generally, an Asset Method, but, first of all,
heavily restricted. It loses the most appealing and probably the most
useful aspect of Asset, the creation of a *deliberative* body that
can resolve an election. Instead, because of the rules, the votes of
canididates are *predictable*, within the restrictions, and thus C is
able to, in the scenario given, know how the others will vote, and to
use that information for personal advantage.

The vote that is allegedly non-monotonic is an odd one, and I've made
this point about Asset many times: why would one vote for a
candidate, who presumably will represent the voter in hundreds or
thousands of decisions, if elected, but not trust that candidate to
delegate? Which is what real representatives and executives do, a
great deal of the time. Not having the skill and understanding to
delegate rationally is a major shortcoming in any person heavily
participating in executive or governmental decisions. Making poor
choice in delegation has led to the downfall of many.

>But if the last null voter adds an undelegated approval for B, then
>if C approves nobody and D and A approve only A, the result shifts
>from A to B. Since C knows that A and D will prefer to give the win
>to C, now C can safely not approve B, and win.

Essentially, the lone voter makes the world safe for C.

B has apparently also not indicated delegations. Perhaps that's why
the "null" voter didn't allow delegation. The *system* defanged B. C
essentially betrays B (though we have no clue as to the depth of that
betrayal, and since B did not declare delegations, we also don't know
how B would have voted in the further process.)

I've generally written that without knowing underlying utilities, we
cannot understand the impact of a criterion failure. However, we can
guess that the preference strength of the null voter for B over the
others is weak. I don't know if the rules would have allowed B to
vote the null voter's ballot if the vote had been delegable, given a
lack of prestated delegations. SODA is *not* simple, as the name
claims. Asset is simple, and we suggested, years, ago, FAAV,
fractional approval asset voting, which would *allow* voters to vote
for more than one, with the vote being divided if needed for
completion. Most voters would presumaby vote for one only. So the
ballot is a pure approval ballot, and there is *only one question*
the voters need to address: whom do you trust most to represent you
in the ensuing process?

And such a vote is clearly monotonic, in itself. That is, it always
increases the voting power of the candidate(s) voted for. However, in
real life, in real decisions, it can occur in the process that an
increase in power of a faction shifts the process in a way that
ultimately is against the interest of that faction. That's a *basic
problem*, not a voting system problem. It's rare, but simply not
impossible. The most common situation would be "overreach." I.e., a
faction might have a position that will prevail, but if, believing
that they have the power, they disregard and reject whatever
compromises might be needed to complete implementation, they might
eventually lose out. We see that excess power has defeated many
movements, i.e., *too much success*. So then they act arrogantly, and
create a counterrevolution or strengthen it.

>So an extra approval for B caused B to lose.

So what happened? To review it:

1: A(>C>B>D)
2: B,X
2: C(>B>A>D)
1: D(>A>C>B)
1: null

Realize that the process described doesn't happen in the ballots. The
voter voting for B gives B additional power in the process, just not
enough to prevail without the cooperation of another. 1 vote short,
in fact. I'd claim that the *voting* system was monotonic, but the
additional vote shifted strategic considerations on the part of C.
And SODA sets up pure, full-information strategic voting, and ....
that is a major flaw.

Without that extra B vote, the results are, without delegation,