[EM] MJ for use on wikipedia?

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 16:09:03 PDT 2012

Article titles can indeed be problematic since every article must have some title. There is no way of having articles without a title in the case that there is no consensus. Old titles can however be used for some time (maybe with a note pointing out the ongoing debate) while seeking consensus.

Wikipedia should of course have very clear policies on what kind of titles to use when there are different opinions. In the case of Ireland it seems to me that use of the formally correct names must be the correct answer. If the formal name of the country is "Republic of Ireland", then let's use that. The "(island)" addition would depend on if Wikipedia recommends clarifications in this format or clarifications in the text right after the title (as it is now). I read some of the Wikipedia naming policies, and they already seem to cover typical problem cases quite extensively. I hope they will be kept up to date so that next time when a similar problem emerges, the solution will be obvious and there is no need to vote.

I think also levels one and two could be used in this kind of naming conflicts. I'm not sure if the voters want to use strategies, although the discussion is heated. Also I don't know how quickly the issue must be solved, and if the title shall be decided as the voting result says or just based on the voting/polling results. But I wasn't there so I cant tell if discussion and consensus simply could not be used any more. In any case it is good that Wikipedia aims at making the working practices as discussion and consensus and agreed policy oriented as possible.

Juho