[EM] MJ for use on wikipedia?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 12:33:02 PDT 2012

2012/9/28 Juho Laatu <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk>

> Since Wikipedia says in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:VOTE that
> "voting" is used maily to help in building consesus. The polls are thus not
> expected to be competitive. The final decisions are not made based on the
> poll results but in a discussion that the polls should help.

Please actually read the essay I linked
earlier<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Homunq/WP_voting_systems>.
It begins by acknowledging that consensus discussion is the norm on
wikipedia, as you say. MJ is proposed specifically for those rare cases
when that does not work and some decision is necessary (such as the "choice
of software tool" example you give).

...Taking into account the non-competitive nature of the Wikipedia
> community, also the strict (competitive, not discussion and consensus
> based) elections probably need not be very strategy resistance oriented.

I disagree. The cases when consensus discussion fails to resolve the issue
are precisely those cases when strategy is salient.

Jameson