[EM] MJ: Worse Chicken Dilemma than Approval or Score, elaborate bylaws, computation-intensive count.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 19:47:19 PDT 2012

2012/9/6 Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>

> Jameson:
>
> I'd said:
>
> >> With Score, you add each ballot's rating of X to X's total.
> >>
> >> With MJ, if one or two newly-counted ballots rate X above hir current
> >> median, then you must raise X's MJ score to hir rating on the ballot
> >> with the lowest X-rating above X's median (or maybe to the mean of two
> >> such ballots?).
> >>
> >> That means you have to go through the ballots again, to find the one
> >> with the lowest X-rating above X's median.   ...unless you've sorted
> >> all of the ballots, by their ratings, for each candidate.
> >>
> >> You don't think that's a lot more computation-intensive than Score? (see
> >> above).
> >>
> > Yes, but that's totally the wrong way to do it. You don't keep a running
> > track of the median as you count, you simply tally each rating for each
> > candidate.
>
> But that sounds more like the definition of Score. Tallying, for each
> candidate, each ballot's rating of that candidate.

That's not tallying. Tallying means making a count. Three apples, not three
pounds of apple. 1,2,3; not 3,5,8.

In this case the tally would look like this:
Gandalf:
A: IIII     4
B: II      2
C:        0
D:        0
F: IIII     3

Saruman:
A: IIII       4
B:           0
C: III      3
D: III      3
F:          0

Gandalf's median is B (CMJ of 3.0); Saruman's is C (CMJ of 2.167).

Is that clear now?