[EM] MJ: Worse Chicken Dilemma than Approval or Score, elaborate bylaws, computation-intensive count.

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 07:28:01 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com> wrote:

> MJ's chicken dilemma is incontrovertibly less serious than Score's, and
> arguably less than Approval's.

Maybe that depends on one's arbitrary choice among the sets of elaborate bylaws.

But let's take an obvious and natural interpretation, and try it in
the original Approval bad-example:

Suppose a majority rate A at 0, and the rest rate A at s100. What's
A's median score? Well, if the right number of those zero-raters had
been a little more generous, and had given A a millionth, and one had
given A 1/2 of a millionth, you could establish A's median at 1/2 a
millionth.

Therefore, if a majority of the voters rate A at an extreme, then it's
obviously fair and right to call that extreme hir median.

What if a not quite a majority rate B at zero, and a sub-majority rate
B at max, and the rest rate B at N?

An argument similar to that above shows that B's median should be taken as N.

Now, let's try that in the original, standard Chicken Dilemma:

Sincere preferences:

27: A>B
24: B>A
49: C

Actual MJ ratings:

27: A100, BN, C0
24: B100, A0, C0
40: C100, A0, B0

What are the candidates' MJ scores, by the above interpretation? Who wins?

MJ scores: