[EM] Losing Votes (ERABW)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 17:31:45 PST 2012

2012/11/16 Ted Stern <araucaria.araucana at gmail.com>

> On 16 Nov 2012 07:29:52 -0800, Chris Benham wrote:
> >

> > It isn't a big deal if Ranked Pairs or River are used instead of
> > Schulze.  "Losing Votes" means that the pairwise results are weighed
> > purely by the number of votes on the losing side. The "weakest
> > defeats" are those with the most votes on the losing side, and of
> > course conversely the "strongest victories" are those with the
> > fewest votes on the losing side.
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Just so I understand this correctly:
>
> You're saying that the pairwise contest A:3 > B:1 should be weighted
> more strongly than C:3,000,001 > D:2,999,999?  Even though only 4
> people care to vote in the A vs. B contest?

Well, on at least 2,999,998 ballots, and probably more like 5,999,996, A
and B are rated equal-bottom. So chances that either of them will be in the
Smith set are pretty slim. But if they were, you would be sure not to elect
B. I don't think that's such a bad thing, really.

If A and B were rated equal-non-bottom on the 5,999,996 ballots, then it
would be A:5,999,999 > B:5,999,997.

Jameson