[EM] Addenda to "What will happen..." post

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 29 01:37:20 PDT 2012

On 29.5.2012, at 5.27, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> On May 28, 2012, at 9:17 PM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
>
>> As usual, I don't know what Dave Ketchum means.
>
> Guessing as to what Mike O is assuming, our topic is whether Approval's inability to indicate such as A>B>C matters.  I read the words below indicating that voters can estimate, accurately, various situations to respond to.  While such may be possible, sometimes, it is better to not require such estimating.

I agree with that. I'd like to add that it is quite tricky to estimate which candiates one should approve since that estimate does not depend only on the estimated sincere opinions of other voters but also on the estimated strategic choices that they are likely to make. The decision process is thus cyclic and therefore not stable.

(If there are two winnable candidates in my wing that I expect to have majority, and if I estimate that others are going to approve both of them, then my best strategy would be to approve only one of them. If I estimate that others are going to do the same and approve only one of them, then my best strategy would be to approve both. Well, unless I'm so fed up with the supporters of the other candidate approving only their favourite (and with the Approval method) that I decide to do the same and let the other wing win this time.)

Juho