[EM] What happens when Approval doesn't let you vote Favorite>Dem>Repub?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon May 28 19:13:26 PDT 2012

On May 28, 2012, at 8:05 PM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
>> On 27.5.2012, at 22.37, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
>>
>>> You know, that's the Condorcetists' and IRVists' objection to
>>> Approval.
>>
>> The question is what happens when Approval doesn't let you vote
>> difference is that there is no division to minor and major
>> candidates. The
> worst
>> Approval problems appear when there are three or more potential
>> winners.
>
> The differences between the methods appear when there are more than
> 2 viable
> candidates. It's for that situation that we want a better voting
> system. The
> assumption in all of this discussion is that there are more than 2
> potential
> winners.

There can be 2, or even 1, viable candidates - but our only concern is
that we don't, somehow, make this be more of a problem than it needs
to be.

> What you call "Approval's problems" are only a nuisance. Sometimes
> not even
> that. That nuisance needs to be kept in perspective, in comparison to
> Plurality's problems.
>
> And Approval doesn't share Condorcet's favorite-burial incentive
> problem.
> And Condorcet shares Approval's C/D problem.
>
>>> after the 1st Approval election, in which the non-Republocrat
>>> parties
>>> and candidates have somehow managed to make at least some people
>>> aware
>>> of their different platforms, policies and proposals, the count
>>> results are going to show many more votes for non-Republocrats, now
>>> that everyone, for the first time, has the freedom to rate anyone as
>>> they themselves choose to, and no longer constrained by the
>>> lesser-of-2-evils problem.
>>
>> The first Approval elections in a former two-party system could go
>> really
> well if
>> we assume that the third parties won't be potential winners yet.
>
> In the first Approval election, that may very well be assumed by the
> lesser-evil Democrat voter. So s/he'll approve the Democrat. But s/
> he'll
> additionally approve everyone whom s/he likes more. The resulting
> count
> result will therefore more accurately show who is liked and what is
> wanted.

Always there can be such as a "lesser-evil Democrat" candidate who
must be voted for in defense against the greater-evil potential
winner.  Additionally approving all liked more goes with this.
.    What voters soon see is that, while liking these more, Approval
forces the voter to indicate equal liking for all voted for rather
than permitting the voter to indicate the difference in liking and,
hopefully, electing one of the better-liked candidates.  This is what
leads many of us to want a better election method.

DWK