[EM] Rarity, FBC, Condorcet, comparison of criteria

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue May 8 09:45:35 PDT 2012

Mike O had written:
> We often hear about how Condorcet, but not Approval, lets you help
> Favorite against
> Compromise.
I agree, but not with Mike O's many words.  He offers one special case
- I will try to be general as to the ideas, but base my thoughts on
Plurality, Approval, and a sample Condorcet method.

Starting with the example Mike O provides below, C is Worse, A or B is
Favorite, and remaining candidate, B or A, is Compromise.

Any of the three, as well as many other methods, can be used to vote
for a single candidate:
.     A
.     B

Approval or Condorcet can vote for more than one with equal approval
or ranking:
.      AB

Condorcet can vote for 1-to-many at each of multiple ranks, with each
preferred over all but those given the same or a higher rank by the
same voter:
.     A>B
.     B>A

Condorcet allows voting for both A and B, while showing preference for
the preferred candidate.

On May 8, 2012, at 1:33 AM, Richard Fobes wrote:
> On 5/7/2012 11:10 AM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:
>> Yeah? How about this, then?:
>>
>> 27: A>B (they prefer A to B, and B to C)
>> 24: B>A
>> 49: C  (indifferent between everyone other than C)
>
> Cases that require carefully chosen numbers, as this example does,
> become less important than patterns that occur over many elections.

His discussion involved multiple voters considering cooperating -
possible, but such discussion is not practical when electing such as a
governor.  A Condorcet voter - notice the ranking implied for the
voting - can use any ballot variation I describe above.

A Condorcet voter can choose among AB, A>B, and B>A in response to
what ever his studying and/or debating leads to.

> You pointing out a weakness that can only occur in rare cases is
> quite different than, say, what happened in Burlington and Aspen
> where IRV declared a non-Condorcet winner after only one (or perhaps
> just a few?) elections.

IRV requires decisions based only on whatever is weakest top choice on
each ballot - usually proper loser, but true unwanted requires
considering all that each voter votes.

> Mike, if you really want to elevate FBC above the Condorcet
> criterion, I suggest that you start by noticing that it is the only
> voting criterion in the Wikipedia comparison table that does not
> link to a Wikipedia article about the criterion (and such a link is
> also missing from the text section just above the table).  I'll let
> other election-method experts debate with you on Wikipedia if you
> choose to add a Wikipedia article about FBC.
>
> As for comparing FBC to Condorcet, have you not noticed that other
> debates about which criteria is more important than another criteria
> typically end up being inconclusive because mathematics supports the
> recognition that no single voting method is objectively "best"?

And FBC cannot happen with Approval, for those ballots do not have the
information for FBC to consider.

> As I've said on this forum before, some studies should be done to
> compare _how_ _often_ each method fails each criterion.  Those
> numbers would be quite useful for comparing criteria in terms of
> importance.  In the meantime, just a checkbox with a "yes" or "no"
> leaves us partially blind.
>
> (I changed the subject line because the subject line is not intended
> to be used to specify who you are writing to.  The subject line
> should indicate the topic.)

Good point!  Also important to say when they posted it, for readers to
look back to the previous post.

> Richard Fobes
Dave Ketchum