[EM] Election layering effect (or why election-method reform is important)

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Thu May 3 16:45:15 PDT 2012

  It is not only proportionality, but individual-based support method
that make the difference.
Using the same  STV will of the electorate, and this possible closed
lists (B3-B2-B1, R3-R2-R1, Y3-Y2-Y1),
we obtain a different Global individual satisfaction measure, despite
the fact that we still elect one representative of each political party.
Voters will:
10%: B3 B2 Y2 R1 R2 Y1 Y3 R3 B1
30%: R1 R2 R3 B1 B2 B3 Y1 Y2 Y3
51%: B1 Y1 Y2 Y3 R1 R3 R2 B3 B2
9%: Y1 B1 R1 B2 R2 Y3 Y2 R3 B3
They do their best to maximize their results... (Some of the 51% will
vote Yellow...)
Elected: B3 R3 Y3.
Individual satisfaction of the first group of voters: 33,3% (two elected
among the 3 first choices)
Individual satisfaction of the second group of voters: 33,3% (one
elected among the 3 first choices)
Individual satisfaction of the third group of voters: 0% (none elected
among the 3 first choices)
Individual satisfaction of the fourth group of voters: 0% (none elected
among the 3 first choices)
Global individual satisfaction of all voters: 10% x 33,3% + 30% x 33,3%
+ 51% x 0% + 9% x 0% = 13,3%

A lot worst...
Stéphane