[EM] I retract my praise of Approval-Fill-In. It spoils ICT's defection-resistance.

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 21:49:04 PDT 2012

Try ICT with Approval-Fill-In on the Approval bad-example.

With just ICT, the defection fails, because ICT, when choosing from the set
of unbeaten candidates, disregards the A voters' support for candidates
other than their first choice.

But adding Approval-Fill-In loses that gain, by giving that support back. B
wins, rewarding the B voters' defection.

I withdraw my statements that Approval-Fill-In improving every method. It
spoil's ICT's advantage.

As for Voter's Choice (the one that uses Approvals), it probably shares the
same problem. If you've designated ICT, then you'll give an approval to
ICT's winner, and to everyone whom you've ranked over hir-including B, if
you're an A voter.

So that settles the question of Voter's Choice vs Voter's Choice 2. Voter's
Choice 2 is the only one of those two that allows ICT to work as

Intended.

Henceforth, when I say "Voter's Choice", I mean the version that, earlier
today, I called "Voter's Choice 2".

For clarity, then, let me define it again. This is what I mean by Voter's
Choice:

Voter's Choice:

In addition to voting in whatever balloting is used in the election, each
voter may also designate a method.

For example, if the balloting is a rank-balloting, then the voter may
designate a rank-count.

If method M chooses candidate C, then C receives a point for every voter who
has designated M.

In other words, each method is weighted according to the number of people
who have designated it.

If a voter doesn't designate a candidate, then hir top-rated or top-ranked
candidate(s) receive(s) a point.

The winner is the candidate who has received the most points.

A set of candidates are rated or ranked top on a ballot if it votes them
over everyone else.

Some months ago, I posted 2 useful definitions of voting X over Y. Either
will do.

[end of Voter's Choice definition]

As I said earlier, Voter's Choice is useful whenever there isn't agreement
about what voting system to use.

If the time comes when, after Approval has been in use for some time, people
are interested in enacting something

better, then they could:

1.       use the already-enacted Approval to choose the next method (with
Approval as a candidate too). Or.

2.       choose the new method by Voter's Choice, using Approval and all of
the proposed new methods. Or.

3.       use, as the new method, Voter's Choice with Approval and all of the
proposed new methods

(In alternative #3, of course, experience in a few elections could narrow
down set of methods being

used with Voter's Choice).

But, as I've said, the easiest route to new methods, when Approval has been
in use, would be to propose the

methods that can be offered as approval-management options in an Approval
election.

Alternatives #1, #2, and #3, above would more likely be useful at a _later_
time, when people are more ready

for completely new voting systems.

Mike Ossipoff