[EM] Lomax reply, 3/14/12

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:50:46 PDT 2012

Abd: You are right that C will probably win the chicken dilemma Mike
stated, where C has 49%, under almost any system except SODA. That's why I
usually give a version of the dilemma where C has 40%, not 49%.

You are wrong that this is unrealistic. For instance, see Hawaii's 1st
congressional district special election,
2010<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii's_1st_congressional_district_special_election,_2010>.
I believe that chicken-like scenarios, while they will be a minority of
elections, are certainly common enough to be worth worrying about; clearly
more common, for instance, than honest Condorcet cycles.

In the end, I do not believe that AOC conditionality really fixes the
problem any more than Bucklin does. If C voters give conditional approvals
to A and B, then A and B voters are again tempted to seek a leg up on the
others by conditionally approving C, and again if both do so C wins. I
doubt they'd be so shortsightedly partisan, though, just as I doubt it with
Bucklin.

There are only two ways I know of to truly fix this dilemma. One is as with
IRV, to make it impossible for B to beat A (without favorite-betraying C
votes). The problem is that this solution will always encourage such
favorite betrayal; and also, if, unlike IRV, the scenario is recognized
through A's second preferences instead of B's, such a solution would
motivate burial; that is, even if A voters don't actually prefer B, they
would pretend to to unfairly win the election.

The other way is delegation, as with Asset or SODA. This has the (arguable)
advantage that C can lose even with 49%.

Still, as I said above, half-solutions like AOC or Bucklin may be enough if
C has more like 40%; by merely making the slope down to a C win less
slippery, such systems may avoid that outcome.

Still, since AOC is not really better than Bucklin here, while it is
clearly more complex, I think there's no reason to waste our breath on it.

Jameson