[EM] Burlington's first post-IRV mayoral election

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Fri Mar 9 11:16:11 PST 2012

On 03/08/2012 06:27 AM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> It didn't happen, much to my astonishment:
>
> http://www.burlingtonvt.gov/CT/Elections/Results---DMS-Documents/2012/Annual-City-Election-Results/
>
> So, for the time being, losing the ranked ballot hasn't hurt the cause
> of majority rule in Burlington Vermont, but when the Progs decide to
> jump back into the game, I still fear it might.
>
> Sorry for not updating you folks earlier. I was pretty wrecked last
> night and this morning. Finally got over the hangover this evening.

I suspect that either of the 2.5-party methods (as well as those that do
even worse, like Plurality) lead to third parties eventually being
squeezed out from the position in question - either by themselves (from
not wanting to spoil the election) or by the voters (that don't want to
make the greater evil win).

In Plurality, the Progs are the potential spoilers; in IRV, the Republicans.

I don't know what method 40% runoff will end up being closer to in
Duvergerian terms -- 50% runoff or plain old Plurality.