[EM] Nontechnical words for cardinal and ordinal categories?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu Jun 21 09:59:48 PDT 2012

On 6/21/12 6:34 AM, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>> Why do I think new terms are worthwhile? I think that choosing the right term is an important part of activism. Neither pro-life nor pro-choice activists are satisfied with the more-descriptive "anti-abortion" or "abortion rights". Similarly, Republicans made no headway against the inheritance tax until they termed it the "death tax". And FairVote has done very well with "instant runoff".

IRV does not have much cred or currency anymore.  i think that FairVote
will someday regret the exclusive attachment to the term.  but i also
think it's quite descriptive.  it's a good term for the masses.  better
than "Hare method", "Alternative vote", or "STV".  and, in the NW US, (i
think Washington state) they used "RCV" for "ranked-choice voting",
which is descriptive of the ballot, but not specific enough about the
method of tabulation.

> Do you really want to advocate a ballot format, instead of a specific method? Or
> is it a tool to help advocate "Range" (which will be a seemingly redundant name
> once you've made the effort to separately explain what ratings ballots are).

"Rated ballots" or "Rated voting" is an okay term, i guess, and i don't
think that "Range voting" was very meaningful to me when i first read
the term from Warren's site.  but "Score voting" immediately had
meaning.  i knew right away what it meant, and when i use the term to
talk with non-technical people interested about voting issues (usually
after the nasty IRV battle we had here), i always say "Score voting" and
compare it to judging at an athletic performance, like Olympic
gymnastics.  then people know exactly what i mean.  to a person, no one
liked the idea of rating candidates as their official expression of
their vote.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com