[EM] Conceiving a Democratic Electoral Process

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Sun Jul 15 15:19:45 PDT 2012

Good Afternoon, Kathy

Re: "... the proportion of partisans/nonpartisans depends
      entirely on the state. In some states like MA, the vast
      majority of voters are registered as non-partisans. In
      others, the majority of registered voters register for a
      party.  I think in part it must depend on the type of
      primary, open or closed, each state has. In some states,
      such as OH, there is no partisanship recorded at all, one
      way or the other, in the voter registration rolls, so it's
      difficult to tell. In Florida many registered Dems tend to
      vote for Republicans in statewide and federal elections,
      registration vestiges from the old South Lincoln days.

Thank you, very much.  One thing's clear:  I have been using the term
'non-partisan' improperly.  The best word I can think of to express my
meaning may be 'unrepresented' by which I means those who have no
representation, regardless of which major party wins an election.

re: "Some political scientists have undoubtedly done research to
      try to determine the fundamental partisanship levels, but so
      much of opinion and exit poll survey research work is
      questionably scientific due to the blatant adjustment of
      samples to match unaudited, unverified prior election
      results that are today counted in secret with ample
      opportunities for vote manipulation in the vast majority of
      states.  Plus it is known that voters often inflate the rate
      at which they voted for the successful prior candidate."

That's fascinating stuff.  It's not a field I follow, so I've only heard
a smattering of the circumstances you describe.  I suppose the best idea
is to work one's way backward from the Census Bureau figures and the
reported results from elections.

Fred