[EM] Conceiving a Democratic Electoral Process

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Tue Jul 10 12:52:32 PDT 2012

Good Afternoon, Michael

re: "The public may include partisans, of course, but they would
      vote together with everyone else when it comes to public
      decisions.  That's the crucial thing."

I agree that it's a crucial issue, but, as far as this discussion has
advanced, we've yet to suggest a method by which it can be done.  One of
the problems is that people motivated to political action are partisan,
but they are a relatively small part of the electorate.  The
non-partisans, virtually by definition, tend to not be politically
active.  That does not mean they have no political interest or concern.
  They do, but there is no viable 'good government' party they can
support.  So, while they should be the greatest voice in the conduct of
our government, they are forced to stand mute because parties dominate
the political scene.  That is the crux of the matter.

I feel, like you, that our electoral method must embrace the entire
electorate.  Those who don't wish to participate must be allowed to drop
out, but everyone else must have a way to provide meaningful input into
the choice of the people's representatives in their legislature.

Fred