[EM] Published references for CW/ Range winner relation?

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Wed Jan 25 09:53:23 PST 2012

On 01/25/2012 01:01 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> Does anyone have any references of academic papers that talk about the
> relationship between the honest CW and the honest Range winner? Ie, when
> are they necessarily the same or not? For instance, in a spatial model
> (voronoi diagram)? I want to mention this relation in the paper I'm
> working on, but I don't have room to get distracted proving things about it.

In a spatial model, preferences are based on distance. So if you want
each point to be associated with the closest candidate, un-normalized
Range will do what you want. Normalized range won't, though Warren says
the differences are small.

Similarly, the Condorcet candidate will be the closest candidate to the
point if voters are distributed centrosymmetrically around the point to
which candidate distance is measured. Warren shows that and gives some
references at http://rangevoting.org/BlackSingle.html .

I can't find any papers that mention Yee diagrams in particular.