[EM] Brief Comment on IRV debate

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Fri Jan 20 14:16:50 PST 2012

sorry, guys, i don't have time to write much now (but i will try to
tonight).  but similar to the repeal vote in 2010, and similar to the
two-party system, i feel that the choice you're offering (SODA vs. IRV3)
is a choice between Dumb and Dumber.  we need a decent ranked ballot so
that we are not forced into that choice (and i thought your automobile
brand analogy was nice Jameson).

actually, i'm working (volunteer) in the mayoral race right now (for the
Dem).  the Progs haven't yet nominated a candidate and, when we thought
they might (Dec 13), they put it off until the day after tomorrow.  but
a 3rd candidate has emerged (Wanda Hines, go to the burlington free
press and look her up) who will appeal to the Prog base more than either
the Dem or GOP.  so, for the very first election after IRV is repealed,
we may have a good test case, post-IRV.  we may very well get a Mayor
41% and if we do, i'm gonna take that fact and bonk it over the heads of
some DINOs that were opposed to IRV and also against the majority rule
question we slipped in a year later.

folks, there is much to report from the front here and i'll try to keep
you updated.

L8r,

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com