[EM] Kristofer: MMPO objections

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Jan 5 13:34:25 PST 2012

Kristopher,

I agree that Plurality failure is bad in a public proposal and hard to defend in any case.

In the case of MMPO the question is moot because Plurality failure is so easily fixed by either of the
following natural tweaks:

1. Put 50 percent in each of the diagonal positions.  (A candidate would beat a clone of itself half of the
time.)

2. Put the respective truncation totals down the diagonal positions. (These totals are the pairwise
oppositions of the Minimum Acceptable Candidate.)

With this second fix, you can also create a list of oppositions against MAC, and if MAC's max
opposition is smaller than any other candidate's max opposition, then various possible courses of action
exist:  (a) throw out these candidates and start over. (b) elect the approval winner (i.e. the one with min
opposition from MAC, which is the same as the one with most opposition against MAC). (c) use the fall
back lottery to elect the winner.