[EM] Sortition and the Delegable Proxy system

Bryan Mills bmills at alumni.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 23 22:28:36 PST 2012

I've been looking at a voting system over the past week or so that I
think is really interesting: a combination of the "delegable proxy"
system with a sortition procedure to elect a standing legislature.

My objective is to find a way to use conventional voting
infrastructure to elect a proportional legislature of bounded size by
strategy-free means.  I'm not yet 100% certain whether the system
actually is strategy-free; I think it is but I haven't yet found a
proof.  (It's non-deterministic, so I don't think it runs afoul of
Arrow or Gibbard–Satterthwaite but proportionality is only
probabilistic.)

I can't imagine that I'm the first to examine this system, but I
haven't found it in any of the voting literature I've read so far
(most of Voting Matters and part of the Electowiki).  My own writeup
can be found at
(https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1XfoGtx2HBYNyZSYwwiQlcXU7mq_WkLhQzdghv8bGF4o).

Any direct insight or pointers to relevant documents would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan