[EM] An interesting scenario (spoilers, utility)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 13:35:28 PST 2012

This is indeed an interesting scenario. Something is particularly weak
about those B>C preferences. It could be one of two things:

1) Maybe you're using some kind of trimmed or decaying utility function,
where the difference between a candidate who's 2/3 units away and one who's
1 unit away is negligible. Thus, your A voters are like Nader voters; so
far out of the mainstream that the other two candidates appear more similar
than they really are. So they bullet vote, holding out for a tiny chance of
victory. The rest follows; the hapless B>A voters give A a vote, to prevent
the likely C win; the B>C voters thus vote for C to ensure A doesn't win;
and C's win is almost guaranteed.

2) Depending what you mean by "six factions proportionally from -1 to 1",
the B>C>A voters could have tiny B>C preferences. They're either at 0.2 (if
the factions are evenly-spaced points), which puts them .13333 from B and
.26  from C; or they're at 0.16666 (if the factions are the center of
evenly-spaced line segments) which puts them .16666 from B and .22666 from
C, a difference of only 0.06.

In the second case, the B=(>)C>A votes cause the A>B=(>)C votes and not
vice versa. But in either case, the two blocs together form an equilibrium;
neither has much motive to change until the other one does.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an alternate equilibrium where the A
voters approve B, and a more traditional chicken dilemma ensues.

The funny thing is that this is both a chicken dilemma, and precisely the
opposite of a chicken dilemma, at the same time. A's bullet vote could be
seen as trying to provoke a chicken dilemma between B and C, but since B
voters are not unified on their second choices, the fight ends up being
played out between B voters, not between B and C. Or you could say that C
is trying to cause a chicken dilemma between B and A, and, with the help of
some extremely weak-willed C>B voters, is succeeding brilliantly.

Anyway: in real life, I think that the A voters would be able to see that
if they changed, then the B>C voters would change, and so the A voters
would only continue to bullet vote if they really were largely indifferent
about B>C.

Jameson