[EM] Kevin V. and Rich F.

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 13:29:30 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2012/2/21 David L Wetzell <wetzelld at gmail.com>
>

>>> From: Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr>
>>> To: election-methods <election-methods at electorama.com>
>>> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 03:01:06 +0000 (GMT)
>>> Subject: Re: [EM] Kevin V.
>>> Hi David,

>>> get a benefit even if you don't
>>> running clones (that I think we both

>>> real life against clones running
>>> question.
>>>
>>> The benefits are
>>> 1. to the candidate: still gets to influence the result even if he loses
>>>
>>> isn't this true as well for IRV?
>>

> Influence, yes. But generally in IRV, the influence is in the direction
> opposite from the way the candidate would have wanted.

dlw: I don't think generally is the write modifier.  You mean possibly...

> In SODA, the influence will usually be positive (if the candidate
> increases turnout among their followers, or if other candidates adjust
> their positions to gain preference from the candidate) though it can be
> slightly negative (if the candidate causes greater approval-voting in a way
> that turns out to be anti-strategic.)

dlw: What if it were a low-prob event in either case and the negative
effects were limited to one election, meaning the next election the 3rd
party candidate who takes a stand will have caused the de facto political
center to have moved, regardless of who gets elected?

>>>  2. to the voter: greater chance of having somebody palatable to vote
>>> for without wasting the vote
>>>

>> Most election rule alternatives to FPTP make it easier for there to be
>> more alternatives...
>>

> ... but IRV badly fails FBC, so the extra options may be dangerous mirages.

dlw: Only if one's fav gets captured by its extreme.

>>>  3. to the candidate's party: the candidate can attract voters that
>>> might not have bothered voting if there
>>> had only been one nominee.
>>>

>>> dlw: If it's really a clone then 2 seem like a stretch.   For 1 and 3,
>>> why not just hire more campaign staff to GOTV?
>>>
>>> They're clones in the sense that they come from the same party and are
>>> expected to transfer votes to each other
>>> once they lose.
>>>

>> Okay, so they're clonish.
>>

>>> I don't understand how you're responding to 1. That point is saying that
>>> even if I only get 5% of the vote I still
>>> have some influence in who will win.
>>>

>> 1. Who cares about more options for voters if they're fundamentally not
>> that different?
>> 3. And there're  lots of ways to increase voter turnout.
>>

> Not just voter turnout. This is voter involvement, something several times
> more valuable.

dlw: I will not disagree that the total possible options given to voters wd
be higher with SODA than IRV+.   It's a matter of relative import.
My pragmatism emphs the need for realism about voters.  We do act not
unlike sheep who can get led astray, especially when it comes to politics
with its many complicated issues and potential for the crass manipulation
of voter fears.

The GIGO problem is part of why I argue that there's less value added to
finessing single-winner election rules than my favorite saw horse.

> [...]
>> clones then that's not that likely...
>>

>>> The main factor working against nominating clones in most methods is
>>> that it risks dividing up the voters
>>> such that they refuse to vote for all the like-minded candidates. If
>>> voters actually delegate power to a candidate
>>> (which is a little uncertain) the risk of this is reduced.
>>>

>>> dlw: It also imposes higher costs on voters in terms of getting to know
>>> the candidates and figuring out that so-and-so are clones...
>>>
>>> Yes, under most methods it does, because the voters would have to list
>>> all the clones for it to count.

>>> matter:

>>> Ok, maybe I should take that literally, that you want to use an approval
>>> filter because it makes IRV easier
>>> to tabulate. I don't know what else the lack of example scenarios could
>>> mean.
>>>

>>> My motivation is pragmatic, or problem-solving driven, rather than based
>>> on stylized hypotheticals..
>>>
>>> Ok. In reference to the approval component I can believe that.

>>> mover" status. Then my question switches
>>> shows your method doing something
>>> expected difference would be, except
>>> among the top three approved. Are
>>> presidential election)? Though that would

>>> to justify the use of IRV+ over IRV,
>>> a different outcome.  There'd be no recursion
>>> opponents of electoral reform could use
>>> against IRV would get watered down...,
>>> candidates.
>>>
>>> I don't buy that second paragraph at all. Contrived IRV bad examples
>>> usually don't need more than three.
>>> Do you know one that requires four?
>>>

>>> dlw: Well, it's the least important for me personally of the args, hence
>>> why it's listed last.
>>> It's easiest to give bad egs with 3 candidates.  That doesn't mean they
>>> don't also exist for more than 3.
>>>
>>> If you know of examples where order of elimination matters in a
>>> cascading fashion then that'd make a great example for IRV+.
>>> As for IRV working best with only 3 candidates, the pathological
>>> examples emerge only in the relatively rare case of competitive 3 way
>>> elections
>>> and those are relatively rare and not stable so the use of less ranking
>>> info by IRV relative to Condorcet methods would be less important w. only 3
>>> candidates and so on...
>>>
>>> Ok.
>>>
>>> I'm not too sure what else can be said, if you're mainly trying to
>>> simplify a method that you see yourself as forced to pick.
>>>

>> dlw: Well, I think a melding of the attributes of Approval Voting and IRV
>> can't help but lower the likelihood of the pathologies that opponents of
>> IRV like to trumpet and so it's worth mentioning in some contexts.
>>

> JQ:It does nothing to the basic center-squeeze, Burlington pathology. And
> while it does help with summability, it still leaves a system which is far
> less summable than any rated and/or delegated system (that is, Approval,
> Range, MJ, or SODA). So any help it gives is marginal.

dlw: The center squeeze problem is not a problem when the center is always
a moving target.
You have to be kidding about the help being marginal.  It took more than a
month to count the IRV judicial election in Virginia.  IRV+ can be done in
2-3 days.  That's not much of a diff from the 100% summable approaches.

>>>  I don't think that any parties so at odds with the Democrats or
>>> Republicans
>>> that they can't run under those labels, are the parties we are looking
>>> for.
>>>
>>> I think that if, under whatever rules were in place, there were room for
>>> three
>>> contenders in an election, you would find not-too-unfamiliar-looking
>>> candidates
>>> taking the third spot and trying to beat the Ds and Rs. With this
>>> situation, it
>>> is at least possible that a general viewpoint (about as coherent as
>>> those of
>>> the Ds and Rs) would come together and allow a third "party" including a
>>> label
>>> for it.
>>>

>>> dlw: But most voter perceptions are endogenous or manipulated via the
>>> mis-information that is rampant in politics and those who benefit
>>> from the current 2-party system own the MSM that is the greatest
>>> purveyor of mis-information.
>>>
>>> I don't think I have any ideas for addressing this.
>>>

>> Use of 3-seat LR Hare for more "more local" elections wd handicap the
>> rivalry and enable LTPs to do well with a small fraction of the vote in an
>> area.  They wouldn't need the MSM and could succeed despite its barrage of
>> misinfo.  Then if the LTPs vote together strategically in "less local"
>> elections then they'd be the swing voters more often than the sheep easily
>> led astray by misinformation and so the major party candidates would have
>> to deal with real issues.
>>

> I'm sorry, I've read that argument so many times now that it is like
> repeating a word until it loses all meaning. I can't even remember what it
> was supposed to mean.

dlw: It's worth repeating becuz it's true.  Just like it's true that y'all
can't agree on an alternative to IRV for the main alternative to FPTP.

dlw