[EM] Campaign contribution reform

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Tue Feb 21 10:45:26 PST 2012

[pulled out of message below]
On 2/20/2012 5:18 AM, Raph Frank wrote:
 > I assume you mean campaign contribution reform?  That isn't actually
 > an election method.

Nope.

As I see it, using better ballots and better counting methods will cut
the puppet strings that connect politicians to their biggest campaign
contributors.

The main reason money matters so much (in politics) is that money can be
used to win elections through vote splitting (in primary elections),
gerrymandering (which affects general elections), and media influence.
Vote splitting and gerrymandering will disappear when well-designed
voting methods are used.  Then money won't matter as much.  (Media
influence will continue, but voters can ignore it.)

BTW, lobbyists only have influence because they can (when needed) remind
politicians about the necessity of having lots of campaign funds.  As
money becomes less significant, lobbyists loose power.

To the extent that money can no longer take advantage of vote splitting
(mainly in primary elections) and gerrymandering, there isn't so much
need for reforming campaign financing.

BTW, this is why I oppose public financing of campaigns.  Why should
taxpayers waste money opposing the money from special interests?

Using better ballots and better counting methods will eliminate the need
for reforming campaign contributions, PACs, Super-PACs, etc.

Keeping in mind that I'm the author of a how-to book on creative problem
solving, I'll repeat an important point from that book: the best place
to solve a problem is at the source/root of the problem.

Richard Fobes