[EM] STV vs Party-list PR, could context matter?

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 10:01:55 PST 2012

But why would you want all these differences and complications?

If you are going to use STV-PR for some of these elections, why not use STV-PR for all of these elections to the various
"representative assemblies" (councils, state legislatures, US House of Representatives, US Senate).  STV-PR works OK in both
partisan and non-partisan elections, so it should give fair and proper representation of the VOTERS in all these different
elections.

Of course, with districts returning only 3 to 5 members, the proportionality and direct representation MAY be a little limited, but
if small numbers are needed to make the system acceptable to the vested interests, then so be it.  STV-PR with 3, 4 or 5 member
districts is greatly to be preferred to plurality in single-member districts and to plurality at large.  We had to accept local
government wards electing only 3 or 4 councillors as part of our STV-PR package  -  that's practical politics.  But that reform has
transformed our local government  -  no more "one-party states".

James Gilmour