[EM] [CES #4445] Re: Looking at Condorcet

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Feb 6 20:27:12 PST 2012

How did we get here?  What I see called Condorcet is not really that.

On Feb 6, 2012, at 10:02 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> Say people vote rated ballots with 6 levels, and after the election
> you see a histogram of candidate X and Y that looks like this:
>
> (better)
> 6:Y X
> 5:  Y  X
> 4:     YX
> 3:     XY
> 2:  X  Y
> 1:X Y
> (worse)
> N:123456789
>
> That is, 3 people rated X as 6 and only one person rated them as 1,
> and vice versa for Y.
>
> X wins, right?
>
> If it's Condorcet, not necessarily. This is consistent with a 14:12
> victory for Y over X.

I count 15 vs 6, being that all you can say in Condorcet is X>Y, X=Y,
and X<Y.  There being no cycles in this election, I would not expect
any variation among Condorcet methods.  Perhaps Jameson was thinking
of something other than Condorcet - consistent with saying "rated"
rather than "ranked"?