[EM] STV+AV

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 09:39:21 PST 2012

They don't always change their priors *much*.  It depends on the evidence...

And I do rationalize.  I just don't want to rationalize the fact that the
difficulties this list-serve has in agreeing on the best single-winner
election rule is consistent with the possibility that there wouldn't be
that much in differences if oth replaced irv or there wouldn't be that much
a diff relative to if irv+ replaced irv, since competitive 3-way
single-winner elections are rare in the US and not stable and
Burlington-like anomalies/pathologies aren't so bad in a multi-stage game
and angels don't necessarily lose their wings whenever someone is pressured
to vote strategically.

And I will concede that among electoral reform analysts there is a strong
preference for multi-party systems.  However, this may reflect  ideological
stuff that led them to invest themselves in becoming electoral reform
analysts in the first place.  If we had a different kind of 2-party system
then they'd "rationalize" or realize that the diffs aren't so great.

dlw