[EM] STV+AV

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 12:21:30 PST 2012

2012/2/4 Bryan Mills <bmills at alumni.cmu.edu>

> > From: Bryan Mills <bmills at alumni.cmu.edu>
>> > To: David L Wetzell <wetzelld at gmail.com>
>> > proliferate
>> >
>> > To get reasonable proportionality with only 3-5 seats per district
>> > you'd probably need to go to an MMP system, with all its added
>> > complexity.  Otherwise Droop proportionality doesn't buy you much over
>> > FPTP; with 5 seats the Droop quota measures to a precision of ~17%,
>> > and the remaining 17% in each district is still susceptible to
>> > gerrymandering.
>> >

>> Not much?
>> The goal here is not perfectionism wrt proportionality.
>> The goal is to increase proportionality and to increase the number of
>> competitive seats
>> and to reduce the cut-throat competitive nature of US political rivalry
>> between its two biggest parties
>> so they can't dominate the other and have more incentives thereby to work
>> together on the many issues that need work.
>>

> I'm doubtful that 3-5 candidate districts actually would "increase the
> number of competitive seats".  Each major party ends up with 1-2 safe
> seats, and at that level of granularity gerrymandering and geographical
> polarization are still significant enough to render the last seat
> non-competitive in most districts.  (It would increase proportionality
> somewhat - by transforming some of the safe-by-gerrymandering seats into
> safe-by-Droop-proportionality seats - but you seem to be arguing that
> proportionality isn't as important as competition.)
>
> Suppose we have two parties with a 50/50 split and 5 seats per district,
> with one party more popular in urban areas and one more popular in rural
> areas.  And suppose that the district lines are drawn such that 4/5 of
> districts are slightly more rural than average and 1/5 of districts are
> more urban than average, so that the 5th seat in each district becomes
> relatively safe as well.  (We can do this fairly easily using geographical
> boundaries by centering 1/5 of the districts around cities.)
>
> Scale that up to 400 legislators (80 districts).  What do we end up with?
> 320 "natural" safe seats guaranteed by Droop proportionality (160 for each
> party)
> 80 gerrymandered-safe seats for the rural party
> 20 gerrymandered-safe seats for the urban party

First, your numbers add up to 420. I think you meant 64/16 for the safe
seats, which is only a 56/44 advantage, not 60/40.

Note that the "safe" seats would still swing if there were a swing in
national mood of around something less than 8%, not something less than 25%
as in single-member districts. And the more highly-gerrymandered the map
is, the tighter that margin, and so the greater the chances of it
backfiring against the gerrymandering party. Gerrymandering is a fine art,
but 8% doesn't leave a whole lot of room to play with. Considering safety
margins and misfires, I doubt that the gerrymandering party could get
anything close to the 6% representation advantage your (corrected) numbers
suggest. So, while 2-3% unfairness is still a problem, I think it's a big
step up from where we are.

> Now, despite a 50/50 natural split, the rural party has a 60%
> supermajority.  And, of course, if you draw the district lines differently
> you can do the same thing for the urban party.
>
> So there's still relatively little hope that a system with such small
> districts would produce a party-proportional legislature.  As you point out
> elsewhere, it might still be possible to get an ideologically-proportional
> legislature if you can get the parties themselves to shift ideologies.
>

> > If you assume two major parties with ~40% of the electorate each, that
>> > means that the 5th seat in each district is noisy -- but it's not
>> > random noise, it's systematically biased by the parties' voting
>> > strategies and the choice of district boundaries.  Larger districts
>> > allow finer-grained Droop quotas and thereby reduce that noise.
>>
>> dlw: Smaller districts engender less opposition from those in power.
>> They keep the constituent-legislator relationship more so.
>>

> Absolutely agreed that smaller districts engender less opposition from
> those in power.  That's because smaller districts don't fix the biases that
> keep them in power.
>
> They do maintain the constituent-legislator relationship, *for the subset
> of voters who voted in favor of the legislator*.  For the remaining Droop
> quota of un- or under-represented constituents the nonexistence of the
> constituent-legislator relationship is also maintained.

Here's my chance to plug PAL
representation<http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/PAL_representation>,
which does PR but uses existing-sized districts and preserves a specific
constituent-legislator relationship for all but (up to) one Droop quota of
voters.