[EM] Sparring over AV vs IRV at Least of All Evils...

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 06:26:19 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>wrote:

> I consider the whole "encourages big parties to follow the moving center"
> thing to be so ridiculous as not to bear argument, given that, as DSH
> points out, the center is one of the worst places to be in IRV.

I said "follow" and I presume that one cannot pinpoint the center...  In my
heuristic, we get to see the numbers, but the parties don't.  They can
choose direction and to move a little or a relatively lot, but they cannot
stake any point, cuz it will change.

> Sure, it does a better job than plurality. But if you want a system which
> preserves two parties but makes them track the center, and you think that
> US exceptionalism means this is a two-party nation by nature, then you have
> a great array of systems which will accomplish your goal, and IRV is not
> one of them.

Now, who is being ridiculous?

My whole point is that it's much more important to push for the strategic
use of multi-winner elections in part of the US's system, rather than chase
our tails around trying to figure out the best single-winner election rule.
 You all cannot agree.  I think it's because in fact the diffs aren't that
great and there's no good reason that IRV can't be immunized from a
Burlington-like reversal.
dlw