[EM] SODA criteria

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 09:12:36 PST 2012

2012/2/1 Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr>

> Hi Jameson,
>
> I expect that unpredictability (whatever there may be) of candidates'
> decisions can only hurt criteria compliance.
> At least with criteria that are generally defined on votes, because with
> such criteria you usually have to assume
> the worst about any other influences incorporated into the method.

This is true.  For most of the criteria, I was implicitly talking about a
version of SODA where all candidates use optimum strategy according to
their predeclared preferences. This is well-defined and unique, but is not
necessarily polytime-calculable. Still, even without being able to
calculate results, you can prove criteria compliances for this version by
contradiction.

For a polytime-calculable version which satisfies most of the same
criteria, assume that each candidate, when it is their turn to assign
delegated votes, looks at the two "distinct frontrunners"; that is:
Candidate X, their most-preferred member of the current Smith set
and candidate Y, the candidate, of those whom they prefer differently from
X, who does best pairwise (again, using current assignments and unassigned
preferences) against X
They approve as many candidates as possible without approving both X and Y.

This version does not satisfy participation (though again, it's damn close)
or IIA, and I'm not 100% sure about its cloneproofness (though I think it
is). Otherwise, it satisfies the criteria I said.

> So I wonder, can you suggest a deterministic version of SODA, where the
> "negotiations" of SODA are instead
> calculated directly from the pre-announced preferences of the candidates?
> And if so, does it satisfy the same
> criteria in your view?
>
> I can say I would be skeptical of how a criterion is being applied, or how
> clearly it is being defined, if the
> satisfaction of it *depends* on the fact that candidates have post-voting
> decisions to make.

Are you still suspicious of participation and [delegated] IIA, given that
satisfying them depends on assuming optimal strategy?

Jameson