[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 92, Issue 55

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 17:49:36 PST 2012

dlw: Well, intra-party discipline is needed one way or the other to get
things done.  Our system right now is characterized as full of political
entrepreneurship, which makes bills a lot more complicated than they need
to be and things take longer and too much of politicians' time gets spent
fund-raising...

> KV: I think we could have three "parties" (if not a much greater variety
> of viewpoints) with the right method. I wouldn't care
> if they are actually parties or just a higher number of real choices, on
> average, in a race.
>
> dlw:Would it make a diff if our two major parties became two different
> major parties, bridging the gap between the de facto center and the true
> center?
> If American forms of PR were adopted so that there'd still be 2 major
> parties per area, they wouldn't be the same 2 parties for all regions,
> which would then enable minor parties
> to contest the duopoly.  And if this got complemented by a host of
> LTPs(with coalitions)  that specialized in contesting "more local"
> elections and voting strategically together in "less local" elections,
> along with other acts that hold elected officials accountable to their
> promises then we'd have better quality choices, even if the quantity is
> less than we'd prefer.
>

> Yes, I think it would be useful if we could increase the incentive to
> stand at the median, even if two "parties" maintained
> their grip on things.
>
> I don't find PR very interesting personally. It can be its own goal, but
> it doesn't seem useful for the things I'm concerned
> about.

dlw: For more local electyions that are rarely competitive, it's the only
way to make them not DINOs.  We used quasi-proportional elections for IL
from 1870-1980 and it kept either major party from dominating the state's
politics, so other states that are/were economically dependent on IL could
afford to be more politically independent than if one party had been able
to leverage their domination of IL's politics...  It's a neglected part of
our history!!!

dlw