[EM] Looking at Condorcet

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Feb 1 19:22:18 PST 2012

Mike offers serious thinking about Approval.  I step up to Condorcet
as being better and nearly as simple for the voter.

Voter can vote as in:
.     FPTP, ranking the single candidate liked best, and treating all
others as equally liked less or disliked.
.     Approval, ranking those equally liked best, and treating all
others as equally liked less or disliked.
.     IRV, giving each voted for a different rank, with higher ranks
for those liked best, and realizing that IRV vote counters would read
only as many of the higher rankings as needed to make their decisions.
.     Condorcet, ranking the one or more liked, using higher ranks for
those liked best, and ranking equally when more than one are liked
equally.

Condorcet is little, if any, more difficult for voters than FPTP and
Approval.
.     For many elections, voting as with them is good and as easy.
..     When a voter likes A and B but prefers A - Approval cannot say
this, but it is trivial to vote with Condorcet's ranking.

In Condorcet the counters consider each pair of candidates as
competing with each other.  Usually one candidate, being best liked,
proves this by winning in every one of its pairs.  Unlike IRV (which
requires going back to the ballots as part of the counting), counting
here can be done in multiple batches of votes, and the data from the
batches summed into one summary batch for analysis.

There can be cycles in Condorcet, such as A>B, B>C, and C>A, with
these winning against all others.  This requires a closer look to
decide on the true winner, normally one of the cycle members.
.     Here the counters see the cycle, rather than a CW - and how to
pick a winner from a cycle is a reason for the dispute as to what is
best.

Range/score ratings have their own way of showing more/less desire.
Truly more power than Condorcet ranking - AND more difficult to decide
on rating values to best interact with what other voters may do.

Write-ins?  Some would do away with such.  I say they should be
allowed for the cases in which something needs doing too late to
attend to with normal nominations.  True that voters may do some write-
ins when there is no real need - and I have no sympathy for such
voters - this needs thought.

Dave Ketchum

On Jan 28, 2012, at 3:13 PM, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote
   Re: [EM] Propose plain Approval first. Option enhancements can be
later proposals.: