[EM] Symmetrical-IC-Beatpath(lv)?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Dec 28 09:40:47 PST 2012

Hi Mike,

It's been quite awhile, but when I was trying to devise new FBC methods, I got
a strong sense that any kind of path tracing wasn't going to prove compatible
with FBC. The consequences of tracing effects through multiple candidates seem

too unpredictable to offer the guarantee, that you will never want to position
your favorite candidate insincerely.

ICA and ICT are two-step methods where the second step obviously satisfies
FBC, and the first step is just carefully excluding some candidates in a way
that doesn't disrupt the FBC compliance. If the second step didn't satisfy
FBC I don't think Improved Condorcet would mitigate the issue. IC just refrains
from doing something harmful of its own.

The other Condorcet or Condorcet-like FBC methods are based on MinMax, which
doesn't use paths either. So, I'm pessimistic that it can be done.

Kevin