[EM] Public parties: a Trojan Horse in the party system

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Aug 11 10:15:08 PDT 2012

Hi Peter,

> Ok, so every citizen in every country in the world will be able to
> vote in the election of the municipal council where I live?  I don't
> think I would like that and neither would the other people living in
> this municipality too, I believe.

Ed already replied here, so I just want to add two things.  First I
remind you that I was speaking of votes cast in the primary elections
of a public party, not in the official elections of the state.

Second, people around the world are already free to express themselves
on the issue of other people's local elections.  Whether we like it or
not, there is nothing we can do about it.

> Talking about history, I'll share what I learned about the secret
> ballot too: "The use of a secret ballot in America was first deemed
> necessary to protect the voting rights of recently freed slaves ...

(I already replied to this)

> ... Your claim that, that a little peer-to-peer coercion here and
> there, actually is not much to talk about, is unacceptable to me and
> not a statement supported by any argument - imagine how these
> "isolated cases" could look like in reality. ...

Looking at reality, what I see is:

  (a) The existence of a secret ballot in official elections
  (b) The *absence* of a secret ballot in everyday communications

Official elections employ a secret ballot that can serve as a barrier
to inter-personal coercion, while everyday communications do not.  I
propose no change here.  I propose only that the primary elections of
a public party be conducted as everyday communications among ordinary
people.  As such, I claim they are unlikely to be skewed overall by
instances of inter-personal coercion, as between family members.
People tend broadly to express themselves with fidelity provided they
are not systematically constrained, as in a police state.

> ... "If all restrictions are lifted and public voters have complete
> freedom of expression", even then would coercion not disappear, as
> vote-buying will be absolutely legitimate, and vote-buying is a form
> of coercion which would be under the protection of the "freedom of
> expression". ...

Did you read my citation here?  We discussed this previously in the
lists: http://zelea.com/project/votorola/d/theory.xht#vote-buy

You imply that people who are free to express themselves without
restriction are going to sell that freedom to the highest bidder.
This seems unlikely.  Can you think of an actual example?

> > It is impossible to generally enforce a secret ballot in primary
> > elections, or to impose any other sweeping restriction on freedom
> > of expression.  It would require a power that does not exist in
> > our societies.

> ... I didn't understand the sentence "It would require a power that
> does not exist in our societies."  Doesn't legislative power exist
> in our societies?

To restrict the public sharing of opinions on who should run for
office?  Such a law would be unconstitutional.  Even if it were not,
to enforce it would require the security apparatus of a police state.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528
http://zelea.com/