[EM] Conceiving a Democratic Electoral Process

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Mon Aug 6 20:55:50 PDT 2012

Fred Gohlke said:
> Are you saying that anyone considering such a concept would have
> difficulty implementing it?  ...

One aspect is impossible to implement.  You cannot control the time at
which "candidates are announced", as you intend.
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2012-July/030836.html

More generally, the means by which candidates make their way to the
ballot cannot be controlled.

> re: "Although a moderating/immoderating [primary] electoral process
>       might be conceived, it could never be enforced.  It would
>       require a power that does not exist in our society."
>
> You are touching on an important aspect of political systems; the
> notion of externally enforcing an electoral process.  If a process
> must be forced on the people, it is, by definition, undemocratic.

More to the point, it cannot be done.  The primary process (processes)
cannot be enforced in a society where human rights are respected.

> If we are to have a stable, democratic process, it must be designed
> so that our natural tendencies strengthen rather than weaken the
> process.  We know that the pursuit of self-interest is a natural
> human trait that, unchecked, can have a deleterious effect on the
> community. ...

To "check" implies a force or constraint.  Maybe you speak
rhetorically here, but my overall impression is that you intend to
remove the political parties from power by imposing some kind of
reform.  That is not feasible.  I am an engineer, and my aim (far from
opposing you) is to help shape your concept so it can be implemented
in the real world.

But leave all that, and please give me your own thoughts: By what
sequence of historical events (1, 2, 3) might we transit from the
status quo to a better future, as you envision it?

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528
http://zelea.com/