[EM] Conceiving a Democratic Electoral Process

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Sun Aug 5 09:29:23 PDT 2012

Good Morning, Michael

re: "It is here in these independent processes that you would
      confront 'strong opposition'.  You would have no control
      over any except your own, contingent even there upon
      actually being able to implement it."

Are you saying that anyone considering such a concept would have
difficulty implementing it?  I've no doubt that's true.  In fact, it
will be true of any concept that is 'different' than the status quo.
Although implementation will undoubtedly be a matter of major concern,
when considering concepts, the early steps are best devoted to finding
the soundness of the precept.

In this instance, I believe we agree the method we are discussing is
passive in the sense that it does not actively seek the best of our
people as our political leaders.  Instead, it relies on members of the
community assertive enough to make and/or accept nominations for public
office.

I consider this a vital flaw because attempts to achieve democratic
outcomes fail when nothing in the process seeks the active participation
of the individual members of the community.  Whether or not this process
can be implemented is less important than identifying this flaw because
we can use the knowledge to ensure that it is addressed in whatever the
final conception may be.  For this reason, I'd like to add a goal to the
list already offered ...

10) The electoral method must seek the active participation of
     the individual members of the community.

re: "Although a moderating/immoderating electoral process might
      be conceived, it could never be enforced.  It would require
      a power that does not exist in our society."

You are touching on an important aspect of political systems; the notion
of externally enforcing an electoral process.  If a process must be
forced on the people, it is, by definition, undemocratic.

If we are to have a stable, democratic process, it must be designed so
that our natural tendencies strengthen rather than weaken the process.
We know that the pursuit of self-interest is a natural human trait that,
unchecked, can have a deleterious effect on the community.  We also know
that lack of integrity is a common failing among politicians.  We can
use this knowledge to conceive an electoral method that harnesses
integrity to the pursuit of public office.  This suggests another goal
for our list:

11) The electoral method must make integrity a vital character
     trait in candidates for public office.

Fred