[EM] Second (and higher)-order methods?

Paul Kislanko jpkislanko at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 30 19:50:46 PDT 2012

I think you misunderstood.

If I have to rank the 31 baskin-robbins flavors 1 to 31, it is difficult.
I'd get tired of the exercise after about the 5th choice and whatever you
infer from my 6th-31st choice is based upon unreliable data.

If you ask me successively whether I like flavor A better than flavor B for
all 465 pairs it is easy for me to pick one or the other.

All I'm suggesting is that if you ask me to rank them 1-31 and then try and
infer from that how I WOULD HAVE put 1's and 0's into a pairwise matrix had
I made pairwise-choices you'll probably get it wrong because I didn't
construct the 1-31 list that way. If you asked me the 465 separate
questions, you wouldn't have to infer anything.