[EM] Second (and higher)-order methods?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon Apr 30 18:56:47 PDT 2012

On 4/30/12 5:11 PM, Paul Kislanko wrote:

> I always thought the “Condorcet is like a round-robin athletic
> tournament” analogy was weak, because individual voters don’t get to
> go through the round-robin and make their pairwise preferences
> explicit. (As a voter, I’d find a “better/worse” pairwise choice for
> all pairs easier than filling out a ranked ballot, ...

Paul, I find it difficult to understand how you, as an individual, can
make a set of explicit pair preferences without it being equivalent to a
ranked ballot. an individual is not an entire electorate. it's not
multiple personality disorder if it's multiple persons. an entire
electorate can create a condorcet cycle but i just don't understand how
a single voter can. if you like A better than B and B better than C, you
like A better than C, no?

then i can't see the issue of deriving pairwise preference from ranking
or the inverse. it shouldn't matter.

or should we allow for cyclical preferences in a single ballot?

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com