[EM] (no subject)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Apr 23 10:39:59 PDT 2012

On Apr 22, 2012, at 11:14 PM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> I missed the fact that Dave was answering my question here, and so
> I'll reply to his answer:
>
> I'd said:
>
> "Approved" ratings wins. The result? Well, we'd be electing the most
> approved candidate, wouldn't we.  Who can criticize that?
>
> > Dave says: >
>
> > The voter who did not have equal liking for all Approved.
>
> [endquote]
>
> Ok, Dave is saying that that voter could complain about electing the
> most approved candidate, the
> candidate to whom most people have given an approval.
>
> One can only wonder how that voter would criticize electing the
> candidate to whom the most voters
> have given an approval.
>
> Dave is welcome to share with us the complaint that that voter could
> make. Dave, don't forget to include
> that voter's justification for his complaint. Let your hypothetical
> voter tell us what is wrong with electing the candidate
> to whom the most voters have given an approval.
>
> But I'm going to guess what Dave means. He's saying that he wants
> more; he wants something else. He wants
> the expressivity of rank balloting. No matter how much Dave wants
> that, it doesn't amount to something wrong
> with electing the candidate to whom the most candidates have given
> an approval.
>
> Certainly Dave can make that complaint--that he wants something
> more. But his complaint and ambitions don't amount
> to an answer to my question (when I asked who could object to
> electing the candidate to whom the most voters have
> given an approval.
>
> The rank-balloting advocates' ohjection, desire and ambition
> certainly deserves to be answered. I will answer it in a subsequent
> post (though I answered it to a large extent in the part of my
> article that discusses Approval's advantages--I invite Dave to re-
> read that part).

To try to sort out the question:
.     In Plurality voters objected to being unable to vote for more
than  one.
.     Approval is better, for having fixed that, so now voters wish
they could express preferences as to which candidate they like better.

> Quite aside from that, is the important question that can be asked
> about any propoesd replacement for Plurality:
>
> "Is this method going to turn out to be worse than Plurality? Does
> it have unforseen consequences and problems that will have
> some unspecified disastrous effect?"

Proper question when considering any new method, whatever the current
base may be.  IRV is an example that scares thinkers.

> I know that I've already addressed this problem, and pointed out
> that Approval's stark, elegant, transparent simplicity doesn't leave
> any room for that question. That was why I asked who could object to
> electing the candidate to whom the most voters have given an
> approval.
>
> You see, it's one thing to say, "I want something even better. I
> claim that there can be more, and I want to ask for more!"
>
> But it's quite another thing to be able to claim that the method
> will be worse than Plurality.  It was regarding that, that I asked my
> question, "Who could object...".

You refer back to Plurality here - but from context we were at
Approval and those of us who looked ahead realized that we need
something better.

DWK